Thursday, September 17, 2009

Don't fret....Fan the dog got fed in the end

I am at a loss. Wait, no I am not. Just had a brilliant idea. Will deal with brilliance in a moment...

Spouse is doing his neuroscience thing in California this week while in-laws and I keep the home fires burning...the boys are shattered with missing their father, I am in sore need of his calm, rational, normal view of life, and the Fan the dog, well, suffice to say we hit an emergency tonight when we realized she was out of food - and trust me, with a hungry labrador that constitutes an emergency.

How I will manage all of this once my in-laws return to South Africa is beyond me. Our new nanny is lovely and fits in beautifully, but still there is so much to do, remember and manage...I am terrified of what is to come. Topher is a gorgeous boy, but so intense, so demanding emotionally that it is hard to keep up with is needs - and Winston, well he is so easy, so compliant that he is easy to get lost in the shuffle of life and business.

I know everyone else manages this work-family thing with aplomb and grace. But I seem to be falling short.

Will get back to focusing on flash of brilliance, that of course, had nothing at all to do with what is really bothering me.

2 comments:

  1. Am eager to hear about the flash of brilliance . . .

    And oh. The in-laws are leaving soon? And you are worried about the ensuing chaos? But you have a nanny! How fabulous. This seems so out of the realm of possibility for me. (Have you seen SICKO? Jeff and I just watched it last night and were shocked to see that the government subsidizes nannies in France and Britain, not to mention provides free health care for all. Canada, of course, is very enlightened in this regard, too, but do they subsidize nannies?).

    Don't fret. She will get the hang of things very quickly. Chances are, she'll be plenty adequate, if not great. Don't forget that, unlike you, it's really her only job to keep up with your kids' demands and needs, and she may surprise you by teaching Topher to do for himself more. Often it is the outsider without the mother-pull who can work miracles on high maintenance kids. I've never seen Supernanny, but you know what I'm getting at. And if she's not up to the job, it's not likely to be catastrophic; you'll figure that out in good time, and be all the wiser on your next go round. But it's wonderful that you like her already.

    If I were you I'd be thrilled that you will have fewer people to worry about, and to cater to. A nanny can't take the place of g'parents, but she can bring her own magic to a child's life and if you're less stressed, your kids probably will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.

    Am exhausted so reply will make no sense at all but wanted to say thanks for the note and will craft proper, half-way intelligent response tomorrow - just had hosted a huge bon voyage party for in-laws and what seemed like hundreds of their nearest and dearest here in Canada...felt a bit like the bibilical loaves and fishes keeping everyone fed.

    Flash of brillance died in the pan so to speak. Am anxious about link between FB and blog - with family etc now having access to FB, it is only a matter of time before one or more of them stumble onto my blog musings which will no doubt cause offence...thought I could delink but this simple task is beyond my non-existent technical skills.

    Angst. That is what my life is made up of. Angst interspersed with episodes of pretending I don't give a damn....and now I hear Winston crying. Thanks again. Will be more coherent another day.

    ReplyDelete