Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It ain't Paris, but it will do for now....

For reasons that defy simple, short and sensible explanation, I am getting ready to head home from work very early today and indulge in two things that I have wanted to do for a very long time.

The first is to shop for a very expensive, very pretty, and very magical (ie supportive without looking like steel girders) bra. One with no purpose what-so-ever (ie not maternity or nursing) other than to enhance where enhancement is need, reduce where reduction is needed, and lift spirits along with…well, you can fill this part in yourselves.

The second is to try making pulled pork. On the bbq. With a spicy rub and sweet, sticky, spicy sauce to mop onto it. Accompanied by heaps and heaps of coleslaw in a ridiculously fattening creamy dressing. This alone should kill about 4 hours of time and about 6 weeks of a regime of early morning walks and one martini evenings.

Yup. Lingerie and pulled pork. These are the things that will make me happy today. Not world peace, just lingerie and bbq pig. I’d hang my head in shame to be so shallow but the image of shredded pork on a floury, fresh roll with creamy coleslaw, the sauce dripping down onto my plate – and of course, of my newly swaddled chest – just keep over-riding all sense of proportion. And I may just have a second martini tonight…

2 comments:

  1. Well. And how did you feel after the day? Was one indulgence better than the other? Did you feel totally hot after dinner? Like jumping into the sack? Or did you feel like the pork you just ate and want to return the bra? (That would be my experience, but then, I'm an ex-dancer with dysmorphia and eating compulsions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh....yes....how did I feel?

    I felt successful - I had embarked one a wholely unfamiliar culinary exercise and come out on the other side unscathed and, frankly sated. And I had done something else solely for me - something completely and unabashedly selfish...I had literally spent a near mortgage payment an a mere 3 bras....not withstanding one comes from the Queen's own personal lingerie maker.

    Besides, anyone still nursing a 16 month old who awakens at 5 am while also trying to manage a career, a household overflowing with in-laws from a completely foreign culture, a spouse, a 3 year old, the baby, a needy labrador - and is looking at shortly embarking on both a house renovation that doubles the mortgage while simultaneously clearing a cottage lot of brush and trees is EVER feeling like jumping in the sack for anything other than pure, simple, illusive sleep.

    And the ex-dancer thing I get. Totally. Trust me. Thanks for reaching out.

    ReplyDelete