Wednesday, June 24, 2009

With Apologies to President Obama...

So early this morning in the bathroom, while taking care of personal business as I held shut the under-the-sink cupboard with one foot, held to toilet roll with one hand, and made a mad grab for the falling towels from the towel rack with the other, I sprung up from my perch to smash a mosquito against the shower wall. Got the mosquito, while 14 month old Winston got into the cupboard, unravelled the toilet roll and pulled all the towels off the rack. It is still early days, but I think he has inherited my multi-tasking (dis)ability…

But it all led to the idea popping into my head: What was the big deal about U.S. President Obama’s fly killing move the other day? I mean, crap, he was just sitting there, both hands and feet free for pete’s sake. Which led me to starting thinking about just how male-dominated the media is…I mean this killing a fly with one blow merited THAT much press coverage? Try stuffing a tantruming 2 year old into a snowsuit, boots, hat and mitts when you are 8 months pregnant, similarly bundled in winter gear (like I didn’t already feel fat enough without also being wrapped up in bulging down outerwear) and then carry him – and the packages from the shopping centre - out to the car while he thrashes, screaming at the top of his lungs all the way that you are not his “good mommy, I want my good mommy right now” AND then fend off security as you try to throw him into the car seat as he arches his back and flails about. Now that is worthy of world wide media attention.

I mean really, a million times a day across the globe, women are killing metaphorical flies (or here in Canada, mosquitoes) barehanded in one blow, not as they sit calmly unencumbered in arm chairs, but while they have preschoolers hanging off their necks, climbing up their legs, babies tugging at their tops, opening up cans of paint and wandering around with nail guns in their tiny hands. How about a little media recognition of that for a change? And a whole lot less about this Mommy War nonsense.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious (and true) post. They just have no idea, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - and nope, you are right, they don't have a frickin' clue. In fact, this morning I caught myself writing a cheque for the carpenter while jiggling a wailing baby on one hip, listening to phone messages and using my toes to gather up clumps of dog hair off the kitchen floor. I think we need to start an Olympic movement. Maybe then at least motherhood would merit some form of state funding....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny.Style unique. Content tongue-in-cheek. Advise: Mosquito repellent for Obama & media repellent for White House. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete