Friday, July 24, 2009

Welch's sour grapes

Well thank you Jack Welch, for turning on the light bulb for us all…it seems we have been struggling in the dark looking for that ever elusive work-life balance until along came Jack to flick the switch and illuminate the situation once and for all. For according to General Electric’s former CEO, “There’s no such thing as work-life balance. There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences.” Right. Just like there are consequences when I choose not to stop and get milk and bread on my way home from work. Or when I forget to stuff my purse with tiny dinosaurs, toy cars, and a diaper before heading to the office in the morning on days when I also have to “nip home” to take one of the boys to a doctor’s appointment. Or when work-related travel results in my 16 month old beginning to wean from nursing.

Sheesh, and I thought I was blithely going along balancing, choosing, hemming, hawing, advancing professionally while simultaneously mothering WITHOUT consequences. Silly me.

Mr. Welch has shown himself, in my opinion, to be not merely arcane and irrelevant in the 21st century corporate world but also in his latest cash cow adventure as a leadership development guru. He also reveals himself to be an insensitive, myopic and boorishly unsupportive husband and step-father to a wife who has her own successful career (albeit possibly helped along by an affair-then-marriage to Mr. Welch) and four children. And honestly, I’m not sure which one of these irks me the most – that he is so evidently insensitive as a father and a husband or that anyone will, after this, listen to what he has to say on corporate leadership development.

I'd get more het up about this but I am too busy pursuing my career before heading home to make spaghetti with my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment